Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Anna to go on fast tomorrow, calls for "Jail Bharo Aandolan"


New Delhi, Aug 15: Anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare today said he will go on fast on Lokpal issue from tomorrow irrespective of hurdles created by government and gave a clarion call to citizens to go for "Jail Bharo Andolan" against corruption.

"I will go to Jai Prakash Narain Park tomorrow morning. If I will be stopped, I will sit there itself and ask police where to go. If they will take me to jail, I will fast there and if they release me, I will again sit at the same place and continue with the fast," Mr Hazare said while addressing mediapersons here.

He called for a revolution to "fight against the government and change the system".

The statement comes on a day when Delhi police denied him permission to hold fast tomorrow after the organisers refused to agree on all the conditions laid down by the police.

Anna expressed regret over Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's address today on the occasion of Independence day and said, "I was so upset to hear him. I have always believed that he is an honest person but today he also spoke the language of (Telecom Minister) Kapil Sibal. He also said the Parliament will decide on the Lokpal Bill." He stressed that he has full faith in the Parliament but only if the right Bill is placed in it. "Lok Sabha is the temple of democracy. But when such corrupt ministers reach there, it is its insult. Send the right Bill to the Parliament," he added.

"I have been asked that would Jan Lokpal curb corruption 100 per cent. This is nothing less then an effort to stall the process. I challange that if the Jan Lokpal will not be able to curb at least more than 60 per cent corruption, I will work at (Mr) Sibal's home to fill water," he further said.

The Gandhian continuously posed a question to the government as well as people that has the country actually achieved independence.

"Is this freedom? Even after 64 years of independence, the corruption level has only gone up. Don't we know about democracy? Does democracy means that get elected for five years and then only mint money?" he asked. Anna claimed that the government has lost its balance in the run for money.

Referring to the youth who has joined him in his movement, he said they were here as they were angry. "Today they have to pay for even their rights. So they are angry." Mr Hazare further said he feels so depressed to see poor people's condition in the country. "Initially I felt I should commit suicide. But I thought what example will it be for today's youth.

I would not let my spirits down. We wills surely establish a clean nation." He gave a clarion call to people to go for "Jail Bharo Andolan" and said going to jail in this way is a matter of pride. "We will go to jail and fight from there." He,however, noted that it should be non-violent.

Out of the 22 conditions laid down by the police, Team Anna did not agree to six of them. They were ending the protest on the third day, restricting the number of agitators to 5,000, parking of only 50 cars and motorcycles near the venue, no erection of shamiana on roads, no use of loudspeakers after 2100 hours and only government medical observer for Anna.

No comments:

Post a Comment